Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ah yes, the restarts

OK, this is unfair, but I'll say it anyway. While I'm certain my new work PC will be running Windows 7, my ThinkPad that I have at home is still running XP. And this evening I have restarted it about 6 times, and I'm sure I will restart it several more times.

I'll admit that Windows 7 may not suffer from the same number of restarts, and I'll also admit that I'm doing a fairly low-level thing. I installed Paragon HFS+, software that is supposed to give me the ability to read an HFS+ drive from Windows. It sort of worked, because I could browse through the files hierarchy. But it didn't matter, because all of the files were zero bytes... or at least they appeared to be.

That problem forced me into another piece of software, which I haven't tried yet. It's called MacDrive, but it does the exact same thing: it's for Windows users to be able to mount and use an HFS-formatted drive. One promising thing about MacDrive is that they specifically mention Time Machine drives as something it handles. One concern that I had about Paragon HFS+ was that there was something in particular about the Time Machine drive that it couldn't hack.

Anyway, when you're installing and uninstalling software that works at this level, I guess you have to expect some restarts. So I'll stop complaining about that now.

1 comment:

  1. OK, Windows... you win this round. I'm currently installing Paragon's NTFS driver for Mac, and it told me that it's going to have to restart my Mac when it's done with that. Like I said, it's a low-level thing, so I shouldn't really hold it against Windows.

    ReplyDelete